Sunday, November 15, 2009

Shopping for Thanksgiving....

Well, Ryan should be finishing up his LAST BOARDS about now! YAY! We just have to wait until the end of December to make sure he passed...

So, while he was gone today, I started making a list of all the "stuff" I needed for my first Thanksgiving dinner! Luckily, my mother-in-law made me an awesome cookbook with step-by-step directions on cooking the bird, stuffing, and gravy. Whew! As I was making the list, I was thinking about everything else that we were going to make...I'll put our menu down later in this post. I called my mom to get the directions for making my grandma's pecan pie. This will be our 2nd Thanksgiving without her, but we've got to make sure we have her pie! So, mom gave me the recipe, but as I was on the phone with her, I decided to look through my little recipe box I got for Christmas about 10 years ago. In it, I found my grandma's pecan pie recipe in her own handwriting!!! Definately brought tears to my eyes....what a great way to start the cooking season!! :) I know she's watching over me as I try this for the first time! Now I've got that and my mamaw's cornbread dressing (which is from a newspaper article about the family that's hanging on the wall), so we should be set! The dressing recipe makes enough for 30-49, so I'm going to cut it in half since we'll only have about 8! LOL!!! (I'll let you know how it all turns out!)

Well, after taking inventory of all the groceries and the things Suzie's bringing, here's what our menu will look like:
Turkey
Small Ham
Stuffing in the bird
Cornbread Stuffing
Package Gravy
Regular Gravy
Rhodes Rolls
Cranberry Sauce
Fresh Cranberry Sauce
Potatoes
Deviled Eggs
Broccoli Rice Casserole
Fruit Cocktail
Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Chocolate Pie
Apple Pie
Cinnamon Rolls

So, that ought to be enough for 8 of us, right??? :)

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully organized person! This will be a great Thanksgiving - plus 2 birthdays to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are going to have a feast! I think Steven and I should drop in to taste it all... what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie...you should definately drop in! Will you??? :)

    ReplyDelete